Friday, November 21, 2008

Barge Cruising in France

Barge NilayaFor many years, I have dreamed of a barge trip through France, preferably the Burgundy region. Something always got in the way. Finally, with my fingers crossed, GF and I will get our chance in 2009.

We have invited a couple to join us. They have been my friends for almost 50 years. We served together in the Navy in Taiwan when I was a newly minted Ensign. I think I last saw them in the 1970s. Now that we are all retired, it's our big chance to get together again. It's going to be amazing.

Nilaya routes in BurgundyThe barge we have chosen is the Nilaya ("Heaven" in Indian Sanskrit) and the route will be one of the three choices in and around Burgundy. It's almost impossible to choose between them, but the skipper has asked us to rank our choices one through three.

I think the classic Burgundy Canal looks great. Market day in Dijon or wine tasting in Cote de Nuits! Another difficult choice!

Burgundy & the Petite Saône through the "waterways capital of France," wonderful restaurants, and market day in Port-sur-Saône.

Or maybe Burgundy and the Côte d'Or with a little wine tasting in Beaune?

Better yet, return every year and do them all!

And how did we find this fabulous deal? Surfing the web, of course.



No comments: